Scott Higgs began dancing in college, and started teaching soon thereafter (when the knowledgeable dancers graduated !). For 25 years he has traveled the world (25 states and 6 foreign countries) calling for contras and English country dances. Dancers characterize Scott’s contras as “high-energy” and “swingy.” His English dance programs span the spectrum from exuberant to elegant.
Scott has composed dozens of dances, and served as President of the Germantown Country Dancers. His first booklet of dance compositions, Early One Morning, appeared in the last century (!). Dances from that collection have been performed across the U.S. and Europe, and reprinted in anthologies in the U.S. and the U.K.
Scott has led weeklong workshops at Pinewoods (20+ years in a row), Buffalo Gap, Mendocino, Ashokan, and Mainewoods Camps. CDSS hired Scott to design and lead special intensive courses for English Dance Leaders, and then tapped him as Program Director for English American Week at Pinewoods. Scott’s latest enthusiasm: Renegade Morris, now entering its eighth season of high-energy dancing.
In recent years, for a change of pace, Scott took a break from organizing sessions for CDSS, and joined the National Board of Directors — it’s a very different perspective !
Scott’s leading has been featured at many week-long workshops.
Pinewoods Camp (featured at one or more sessions almost every year)
- English Dance Week
- American Dance Week
- English/American Dance Week
- Campers Week
- Swing Into Summer
- Early Music Week
- English/Scottish Session
- Family Week
- Mendocino Woodlands Camp American Dance Week & English Dance Week
- Augusta Heritage Center Dance Week
- Buffalo Gap Camp English/American Dance Week
- Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camp Northern Week
- Tropical Dance Vacation English Dance Weeks — St. Croix & Hawaii
- Lady of the Lake Music and Dance Week
- Mainewoods Folk Dance Camp (Week #1 of the season)
- Berea College Christmas Country Dance School
- Step Stately Tour – Leading English and contra dances on a tour of England
Special Weekends and Festivals – (Just a Sampling):
- Dance Flurry (Albany, NY)
- BACDS Spring & Fall Dance Weekends (La Honda, CA)
- Pigtown Fling (Cincinnati, OH)
- Bayou Bedlam (Houston, TX)
- Spring Dance Weekend (Antwerp, Belgium)
- Labor Day Dance Away (Julian, CA)
- AACTMAD Dance Weekend (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Champlain Valley Festival (Burlington, VT)
- Pinewoods 4th of July Weekend (Plymouth, MA)
- Cascadia English Dance Weekend (Seattle, WA)
- American Buffalo Weekend (Buffalo Gap, WV)
- Suttle Lake Dance Weekend (Portland, OR)
- Pinewoods Labor Day Weekend (Plymouth, MA)
- NEFFA (Natick, MA)
- Victoria’s Revenge (Cape May, NJ)
- John Campbell Folk School (Brasstown, NC)
- Ralph Page Memorial Weekend (Durham, NH)
- Head for the Hills (Hudson Guild, NJ)
- Heritage Dance Festival (Plymouth Meeting, PA)
- Alpine Country Dance Weekend (Hopewell Junction, NY)
- Ski/Dance Weekend (Laurel Highlands, PA)
. . . and too many more to list . . .